Friday, July 19, 2024

walk dates now locked in!

I went to my once-in-several-months doctor's appointment today, and my next appointment will be on October 15, which happens to be my brother Sean's birthday. On October 15, then, I'll visit the doc, go back to my place, grab my stuff, and train down to Busan. The following morning, preferably early, I'll wake up, grab a cab from Busan Station to the Nakdong River Barrage (낙동강하굿둑 or 하구둑), then walk the Nakdong River trail backwards (this is gonna feel weird) to Yangsan City and the Bliss Hotel. 

I've already updated my itinerary, so if you click the itinerary link on the right-hand sidebar, you'll see the now-settled schedule. The only thing that still needs to be filled out is the daily step count, and I'll be filling those numbers in every day as I walk so I can finally arrive at a walk total. As per usual, I will not be relying on MapMyWalk to measure distances because the app is so battery-intensive. It's fine for shorter walks of up to three hours, but for eight- and nine-hour walks, it's no good. I'm battery-obsessive enough as it is.

It occurs to me that I'll be finishing the walk on November 4—just before Election Day in the States. Yikes. I didn't plan it that way, I swear.

So, to reiterate: the walk will be from October 15 to November 4 this year—twenty days, with many of those being rest days. This will be a comfortable, fairly lazy walk (with some long-ass segments thrown in) that will finish at the Andong Dam, a very exciting, beautiful, and auspicious place to end. I'm pumped: at a tiny bit more than 400 kilometers, this is going to be a much shorter walk than usual, but it'll be along one of my favorite parts of the Four Rivers trail: the Nakdong River. I'm really looking forward to this.



2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the walk to begin. Should be interesting walking north for a while instead of south. Going back in time and season, or is it the other way around since the temperatures will actually drop as you walk inland and northwards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, by walking north, I won't experience the "temperature paradox" I've talked about elsewhere. If anything, I'll experience the progression from fall to winter more quickly. A lot of things are going to be weird this time around, and I'm looking forward to all the weirdness.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.