Friday, October 11, 2024

you know the drill

The procedure on this walk will be what it had evolved into last year: I'll take hundreds of pics daily, but I'll put up only ten select images each day, as well as captions for them plus commentary about how the day went, not-so-deep insights, etc. The rest of the pics for each day will be slapped up after the walk is done; they'll get captioned, and there'll be extra commentary added from my remembrances of the walk. Completing every walk blog takes time, and the end of the walk isn't the end of the blogging. I may move and think a bit more slowly thanks to all the shit I've been through over the past three years, but I still have my marbles... at least for the moment.

My brother David just emailed me to poke and prod about whether I'd written a will yet to determine the disposition of my possessions, what to do if I'm incapacitated, how to take care of my body after death (stripped naked, blood forcibly replaced with clear epoxy resin, and me suspended in a pool of that resin with my eyes creepily open, floating forever in a bacta tank of epoxy as the ass-ugliest museum exhibit you'll ever see), etc. If I didn't know his character, I'd suspect him of hovering vulture-like, waiting for me to kick the bucket so he can grab all my tee shirts, food, and bad cartoons, as well as everything in public storage in Virginia.

Seriously, I told David I'd try to have something concrete by the end of this year. I only just discovered that US expats making wills while living overseas have several legal options. I also need to talk with some Korean legal experts about their perspective on my options. A lot depends on whether I plan to remain in Korea. And whether I remain here depends on how fucking crazy my country has become. 

On that note, I recently learned that even my cherished Wyoming, that introvert's paradise, isn't doing well: a high percentage of Wyoming land is apparently owned by the federal government, and the government may possibly be behind months-long wildfires that will allow Uncle Sam to exercise eminent domain to take possession of even more acreage, turning more private land into public. Not good. A state owned by the State.

There's lots to ponder, but first, I have a trip ahead of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.